Dragons Discovered in Indonesia

New Born Baby Dragon

Agni (Sanskrit name meaning “fire”) is the newest hatchling of a recently discovered species in Indonesia. He was given the name by members of the initial research team because of his red wing coloring. While local Zoologists (scientists who study and classify animals) are hesitant to use the name “Dragon”, there is an unmistakable resemblance between this new species and the mythical dragons of ancient lore.

Barely a week old, Agni can expect to triple his current size within a month based on his current growth rate. He currently feeds mainly on insects but will soon graduate to small rodents and birds. In 2-3 years it is speculated that only larger animals such as the local Indonesian cattle will be enough to sustain his massive size (about 10-15 thousand pounds).

Adult specimens have remained elusive, although clues of their existence have been spotted in the local region where Agni was found. It is believed that the adults remain in hibernation for most of the year, only emerging occasionally to hunt for food.

The first question one is likely to ask is whether these creatures have the ability to “breathe” fire like the dragons in movies and fairy tales.  While no concrete evidence of this is available, it is noted that the region of protected forestland where Agni resides has an unusually high number of “scorch plots” as seen below. A scorch plot is a portion of land, small or large, that has been scorched or burned. Usually they are caused by lightning, but the more frequent presence of these scorched areas in this region indicates another cause.

Plot of land scorched by a dragon

The story of how this discovery came about starts with the disappearance of about 15 cattle from a ranch that had recently expanded its territory near a protected wildlife habitat.

It was first assumed that the disappearances were due to the activity of large cats roaming out of the protected forestland to find food. But it soon became evident that this was not the case when no feline tracks could be found anywhere in the area.

In fact no tracks of any kind could be found going in or out of the rancher’s territory that would explain the loss of 15 cattle.

The missing cattle could not have left by land. The only explanation left was that they were taken by air. In the absence of a fleet of helicopters to cart them off, the situation seemed an unsolvable mystery until wildlife researchers in the local preserve came across a collection of cattle bones strewn across a walking path.

A scientific investigation was undertaken to get to the bottom of this when the following was discovered along with several other already hatched eggs:

Dragon hatchling

Agni as well as several of his siblings have been found and are undergoing observation by local scientists in their natural habitat in order to gather more information about their behavior and feeding habits.

The search continues for an adult specimen, although with 2 researchers assigned to this project having gone missing already, this appears to be more of a dangerous undertaking than originally anticipated.

No other signs of the missing cattle have been found nor any clues to the exact whereabouts of the adult dragons, although researchers on the project appear determined to continue until the mystery is solved once and for all.

Note: To prevent the unlawful hunting or poaching of these animals and for the protection of the researchers involved, names and specific locations have been omitted.

Dragons. Are they real? Have the mythical creatures of children’s stories been here all along, hiding in the deep jungle under our very noses?

If so, why have they only recently been discovered? Were dragons once abundant and thriving across the globe, only to be hunted into near extinction as ancient tales tell us? If so, why were they hunted? For sport? Or do these creatures represent a threat to mankind?

-Steven Jameson
The Auditorium

Baby Dragon being held

—-
Follow The Auditorium on Twitter:

418 Responses to “Dragons Discovered in Indonesia”

Read below or add a comment...

1. That’s not a big deal.. it’s called “cleret gombel” in Indonesia.. search it on google and you will find it..

2. Vale Saynt says:

Hagrid has a dragon. And he has a big ass.

3. Anonymous says:

Regardless of if this is true or not… We would never know…. the government(s) of the world would never allow this kind of thing to get out.

4. Anonymous says:

looks like the helping friendly book saved the lizards after all!!

5. Fernandez says:

As far as I know, this is a quite common species here (Indonesia), I can tell right away about two more -probably- sub-species I’ve seen with different wing color, one with semi transparent wing and the other with brown-ish wing.. We call it “flying lizard” in everyday term..

6. Anonymous says:

Gimme a break! Dragons!?!?!?! LOL!!

7. Anonymous says:

k

8. Anonymous says:

LOL that’s not a dragon, this whole article is a lie. It’s a common type of lizard found in Asia, im from South East Asia and i see a lot of those in the wilderness, they’re called flying lizards here, they only glide, not fly and they only grow to about the size of a human hand. i laughed when they said it’ll start eating cattle when it grows haha. so much BS in this article

9. Anonymous says:

Cool? Yes. Misinformative? Also yes.

Although this May be a new locality, The species Draco Volans, (flying dragon) is a member of the Agamidae family of reptiles and has been a recognized species since the 18th century.

And they cannot fly but can superficially glide from tree to tree. Much less take a cow from a field via flight.

10. mike crookham says:

but alians really do exist!
    i personally know one no bs! lizardman

11. Anonymous says:

Leapin’ Lizards!

12. Dr. Gage Lawson says:

I have been studying in things like this for the past twenty years and I had an up close experience and got to hold this “Dragon”. If any of you have any questions or information about other “dragons” dragon like animals email me at gagekato123@gmail.com include where they were seen/found thank you.

13. Anonymous says:

Not to add to the ridiculous comments… but aren’t “Dragons” normally depicted fighting in the 1800s knights and archers and shit?
    Like a teeny tiny iron piece of metal and branches of wood flying through the air are ACTUALLY going to be able to down a beast of 15k pounds?
    MYTH BUSTED

14. S says:

there are recent stories of people from papua new guinea that have seen and known an animal that is close to what we know as the pterodactyl…. also in the jungles of congo people have seen dinasauric creatures. not as big as in the movies but of resonable size. they even said they hunted them because they ate their sheep… just saying.

15. Anonymous says:

” A L I E N S “

16. Anonymous says:

Thank the lord I just watched How To Train Your Dragon with my children… We’re safe.

17. Anonymous says:

i wonder if it can breath fire :v

18. anonycat says:

Indonesia is the land of myth, the land of ancient civilization, the land of the first creation..

there are some unique creatures found here, komodo dragon, this little dragon, the hobbit in Flores island, the java man, ect.. Sumatra still has some virgin jungle, and Borneo and Papua almost 70% if its jungle are unexplored..

just saying…:D

19. Anonymous says:

I recently discovered a new species of snipe in my back yard. Anyone want to go hunting? I grab the flashlight, you bring the bag.

20. Anonymous says:

How could a 10-15,000 lb adult “agni” have been hiding all this time. with today’s technology, you would think satelite images or some natives would have spotted a giant beast flying around. And the wings are not attached to the arms, suggesting they are used for gliding rather than flying.

21. Anonymous says:

I’m hungry for Chinese food now

22. Gian says:

Winter is coming

23. Anonymous says:

all I can say is that this is a cool disovery and as long s this is real i hope to see it again.

24. Anonymous says:

Scientist should stop creating dangers in the world ! Next thing you know we will have zombies/ wear wolfs/ and other freaks of nature to worry about!
    They are going to make the world a horrible place!

25. t chang says:

scientist also say they can recreate dinosouar by using their DNA just like Jurassic Park. These have been proven by scientist to make weired animals as well as big foot where Stalin have put gorilla geanetic into pregnant women to have a smart and strong army.

26. Anonymous says:

Hmm I do believe that with science we can make this little fella into a real dragon don’t you think?

27. Anonymous says:

God forbid we see another disco very megalodon shark week. *DRAGON WEEK

28. Anonymous says:

I wish it was real I wonder if its a real cousin of a dragon that’d be cool just always wondered were the stories came from

29. anonymous123 says:

True dragons are magical creatures. They are born of magic. Only one who believes in magic can ever see them.

30. Anonymous says:

I wonder what it tastes like?

31. drp says:

Thanks for letting us know its a hoax, guys. I was just about to run out and buy a fire resistant suit.

32. This is not a hoax, but this is also NOT a newly discovered species nor is it a dragon. It is a species of flying lizards which are commonly called dragon lizard or just dragons. They are not capable of true flight, being only capable of gliding through the air up to 25 feet or so, and they are very small and

33. Anonymous says:

“Call me Dragon!!…”
    ” okay well.I want u to call me night hawk!!”

34. Anonymous says:

Shouldn’t this have been posted on April 1st?

35. Anonymous says:

Chuck Norris is what Willis was talking about!!

36. whakakakakak…. its called Cleret Gombel!!!! I knew this when I was child.

• Anonymous says:

lmao thats what im sayin. no one knows what an internet is yet they all use it. idk if its a Cleret Gombel but its similar

37. Yol says:

I wonder If I’m the Dragonborn….

38. Kazugaya says:

Just so you guys know, this is a hoax.

39. Mikeru says:

This hoax is laughable. As only a very few other folks have stated in the comments, the pictures are of an already well-known species of gliding lizard, and yet the article claims researchers are somehow exactly certain that this “newly discovered species” will grow to tens of thousands of pounds, despite having reportedly never seen an adult? (For perspective: Killer whales are about 12,000 pounds, and there is nothing even remotely close to that large trying to support itself with legs on land today). And here’s the best part: Missing cattle, and now missing researchers! Gasp! Scorched earth? Oh my! (No one in Indonesia has ever heard of so-called “scorch plots”, btw). And how convenient that places and names and sources have been omitted. I’m not a hater, though. I will admit, this was an entertaining article. Thank you for the fun joke. Sorry to burst the bubbles of 90% of the readers, but hey, at least I saved you the trouble of ACTUALLY QUESTIONING THINGS YOU READ ON THE INTERNET!

• Anonymous says:

90% of readers? you are about the 1% that think anyone that isn’t legally retarded would actually have believed this.or are you only borderline retarded so you felt the need to explain to your brethren?

• Mikeru says:

This is fun. I wish I had seen your reply earlier, I just stumbled upon this update on a derelict old email account. I hope you are still like me, and have only enough purpose in life to start a troll battle nearly two months after-the-fact. Allow me to be the first to dust off my cowardice and get the ball rolling:

You are correct on your first guess. I am the sanctimonious 1% wrongfully attempting to subjugate the legally retarded. Granted, I don’t have much knowledge on legal or even illegal retards, but you seem to know quite a bit all about the subject, as evidenced by your ability to make the distinction (I do take pride in stumping you, however, since you seem to be undecided about me). Let me assure you I am at least a full hair’s breadth ABOVE the line for legal retardation. It’s what gives me the competitive edge when making hateful comments on the internet, because I have mastered words like “bitch” and “pussy”. I see that you fight your battles without such base vocabulary. I commend that. Only a wise man would voluntarily enter into a petty insult match and use only the power of his, um, other words. Very wise indeed. Dear Wise Anonymous, perhaps you could help me classify the comment-posters here so that I may get my facts straight and properly insult them in one infallible blanket statement? Let’s ignore the fact that the majority of posts on here without an overtly sarcastic subtext seem to imply that the commentators actually believe this story (they must be so damn smart that I can’t even comprehend their implied sarcasm!), but if numbers is your main gripe, I guess I should admit I’m no good at the ol’ maths. So how much were my estimates off? Aside from the misguided 1% like myself, and the truly enlightened .0001% such as yourself, how many people commenting on this article actually believe it to be true? Please use small words and employ smileys in your explanation so that I feel encouraged.
        I’ll admit I was poking a bit of fun at these people you so lovingly refer to as “retards”, while also trying to promote analytical thinking, so I definitely deserve your harsh and well-put insult. All the other people simply saying “This is a hoax, don’t believe it” were probably just too caught up laughing at the big joke to explain that they of course were in on it. I mean come on, who could possibly believe this story? Or worse, who could possibly be so off as to think someone might actually believe this story based off the comments, and then that person goes even further to explain that this story is indeed false, and why not throw a little jab in there while you’re at it? Oh wait, that’s the 1% we already talked about. They definitely should be made fun of.
        I’m curious: Why were you so offended at my bullying of the retards that you felt compelled to step-in and bravely- I mean anonymously, come to their aid? You obviously have no qualms about calling people retarded, or making fun of people on the internet behind the safety of an avatar. I’m the same way! I literally stay up at night thinking of ways to type hate-filled comments that actually contain more text than the original article I’m commenting on. Aside from my mathematical deficiencies, I think you and I could actually be good friends, spreading hate-filled banter across the far reaches of the internet. What do you say, are we the combined 1.0001%?

• YouJustGotMerked says:

your an idiot, elephants can weigh up to 15000 pounds at least. As well as your a bitch, so shut the fuck up and let the people read the article whether it’s real or not because I know as a fact after reading your dumbass paragraph that no one should believe a word YOUR saying. So in all this could all be pretty true.

YOU’RE

• Mikeru says:

I never wanted people to not read the article. I said in my first post that it was a good laugh and that I enjoyed it. I hope others can continue to enjoy how bad it is just as much as you enjoy the FPS’s and ‘Tweenlight books you are so fond of. Let me guess, Team Jacob?

FINALLY, some real facts, though! Wikipedia was good to you, my friend. I must have gotten my kilograms crossed somewhere, or maybe I somehow got confused by the fact that dinosaurs no longer existed and then I forgot that we were regarding completely fake crap so maybe I was still thinking about specifically the largest land REPTILES not being over 5,000 pounds or so (don’t worry, I double-googled this time). HEAR THIS: You are right, elephants certainly do tip the scales at 15,000 pounds or more. Here’s your cookie.

You are also right to doubt me based on my original mistake. I think that definitely justifies me as a “bitch”, as you so eloquently put it. Thank you for that. Honestly, where would this world be if people politely corrected others’ mistakes or, at worst, poked a little fun at the transgressor in the process? Sounds like a world I don’t want to live in. Total chaos and anarchy! I honestly regret lightly making fun of all the ignorant people whose comments indicated that they believed this article. No, the proper thing to do would’ve been to call everyone a bitch and then highlight my own stupidity in GRAMMATICALLY INCORRECT ALL CAPS!
        Definite power move right there, oh yeah!

Honestly, though, I guess I can stand by my original numbers because we all know that the internet doesn’t lie. You should always believe everything you read on it, especially in comment sections where human errors OBVIOUSLY never happen. You also should NEVER do a quick web search to verify or contest someone’s claim. We all know that Mr. ‘Merked here just happened to retain knowledge from the womb regarding intimate details of elephants’ weight (We know this is innate knowledge because he clearly does not have an education otherwise) and this is why his word should be taken over my own. The above internet article says flighted land reptiles the size of buildings do exist, and Merked believes that. Who are we to question that? I’ll tell you who we’d be: Bitches, that’s who.

Flawless logic: 1. A given story may or may not be false. 2. Mikeru made a small mistake, and is therefore a bitch. 3. This means the given story is true!!!

40. ladyinred says:

Didn’t you learn anything from The Goblet of Fire? Everyone knows dragons reside in Romania, of course.
    ^·^

41. Should I start finding the grey beards now so I can learn to be the dragon born? Or do I need to kill one first, cause my war axe is all ready to go

42. Billy Boy says:

Where is the mother? I hope she’s a hot blonde*…. *naked

43. Stephen Pullen says:

I don’t know there are always new species being found. Until we know for sure don’t judge it.

44. Anonymous says:

Do you believe in ghosts, Maester?

45. Anonymous says:

Whether it’s real or fake….I’m hoping it’s real; this gives me hope >:P

46. Anonymous says:

Seven hells I want this to be real. If this is a hoax I might just have to cancel Christmas.

47. I don’t even care if it is real or a hoax. I haven’t had this much fun reading comments on an article in a very long time.

48. What in the FVCK are you thinking guys? This is a complete trolling. That is a Flying Draco! A flying specie of Lizard that is discovered A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG TIME AGO.

• Anonymous says:

Joy killer! Damn man let people have some fun. Nobody really believes in dragons dip shit. Go away and don’t come back. Fucktard.

• Anonymous says:

… I believe in dragons. They went into hiding when they realized mankind was a threat to their existence

• Anonymous says:

People should stop making shit up and getting the sheep thinking theres dragons out here, this misinformation is making America more stupid because everyone just believes ANYTHING, do some research

• Jim Richalds says:

Is it that we need to protect the sheep by eliminating misinformation, or is it really that we need to improve education so we have more critical thinkers who can see through misinformation.

I support the latter argument. First, to really accomplish eliminating misinformation you’d have to also eliminate fiction and most forms of storytelling, as there are still people out there who believe things obviously labelled fiction.

Second of all, do you really think ANYBODY really believes, I mean REALLY believes, this hogwash?

I don’t. It’s even categorized as “fact or fiction”.

All of you “this is misinformation! It’s evil!” guys need to calm down and stop being sheep yourselves, who think any misinformation is going to be swallowed by people.

49. tristian wisinger says:

Werent dinosaurs just dragons?

50. Anonymous says:

Just because they are small now doesnt mean A: they always have been B: they always will be

51. Anonymous says:

If you want to ride dragons, check out the game Dragons Prophet. Love my dragons and it’s beautiful flying over the trees and attacking from above. Sometimes we can live out our fantasies. :)

52. Anonymous says:

Do you think these dragons are friends with the mermaids

53. Anonymous says:

The question is… How do you train your dragon

54. Anonymous says:

When will Smaug be found?

55. Anonymous says:

anybody else remember honey i blew up the kid

56. NOYDB says:

Well done providing all the information poachers and the like who collect rare animals and enjoy killing them need to go out and be able to hunt them down to extinction.
    Pretty sure you could of kept the location out of your article.

57. BlameTheMedia says:

Love that people feel the need to announce that this is fake. You mean you couldn’t taste that this whole article is tongue in cheek? Really? Now I’m sad for mankind.

58. Anonymous says:

That s bad ass always knew they were real. I want one lol.

• Me? Who? says:

I know right. folklore always starts out as a cautionary tale for younger generations. It starts out as truth. Know I want to learn how to be a Dragon Rider. LOL…no seriously, I do.

59. Anonymous says:

Well, I have read ALL of these comments and I don’t personally see the point in arguing over the subject, unless you just love to argue which may or may not be the case. If you want to believe that 15,000 pound dragons exist GREAT! If you want to clear your web history after reading this article that’s great as well, but it is unnecessary to shove your opinions down someone else’s throat. Although some arguments were backed up by proper reasoning which is always great to see.

60. Anonymous says:

its a draco volans. they get eight inches in length and do not spit fire. you can buy em online for 50 bucks plus shipping. but either way, I fucking want it.

61. Anonymous says:

itu kan klarat

62. Anonymous says:

Fus do RAH!

63. Albus Dumbledore says:

ministry of magic!! you people had ONE job!!!!

64. Anonymous says:

Bahaha, reading the comments and I’ve seen Game of Thrones and Skyrim references. I love you all.

65. Seth says:

Ya and Bigfoot is my pet

66. Awesome ♥♡ ;-) “Dragons don’t smoke cigarettes; it’s their breath that smokes” good stuff

67. Anonymous says:

Checking wikipedia has killed this article for me. Science be damned

68. Anonymous says:

The dragons are coming

69. this seems like a really well thought out high school project on making mythical creatures’ existence plausible.

70. Nic Brooks says:

LMFAO. They are called Draco Volans and they do not grow bigger than this. LOL. This whole Article is bs! Very very very funny. LOL.

71. Redu the Undo says:

GOL HAH DOV !!

72. Phuck Offski says:

If i can’t ride it then i don’t care god damn it i want to be the mother of dargons

73. The adults are in arabor.

74. mike says:

sadly this isn’t true, it is a new species but that is is full size in the picture. they were found gliding around in the Lamagasa forests in Indonesia and they were so quick that they could only catch this female in the pictures because she was laying eggs

75. Anonymous says:

its thu’um does not yet seem strong..

76. Anonymous says:

I guess lizards and bats are mating nowadays..ol

77. Anonymous says:

OD AH VIING

78. Anonymous says:

Zaldrīzes buzdari iksos daor.

79. Anonymous says:

The truth is, whether or not these stories are true, the advances in technology and Genetic engineering are making it ever more possible for us to manually create a real fire breathing dragon at a molecular level – Mr. Watchdog.

80. Anonymous says:

winter is coming

81. J3NN says:

Some prople have NO imagination…. I pitty you. Yes it a new species of glider lizard and according to folklore YES it can be construde as a dragon (and no the size of the lizard doesnt matter for all we know it could be like how your roommate screams about seeing a huge giant spider thats only the size of a pea. Perhaps these are the little guys thet folklore was actually talking about and some guy was terrified of lizards and over exaggerated the size and the fire breathing part when one jumped on him). So why are you people being dream crushers for the young children who still need to believe in fantasy and saying its not real. Ridiculous! Its the people that say uhhh its fake, its a hoax, its not real, move along pesants nothing to see here.. that are gonna die miserable old bags. I dont know about you but Id like to keep my childhood innocence in tact and see the world for the wonder and amazement that it brings everyday. Ever looked at a child who was looking at something with absolute curiosity. That is what miserable old bags need to recapture. I guarentee you will live longer and be a happier person if you reclaim even the smallest glimmer of your lost innocence. You dont need to over analize things or think that people who are in their 30s or older who still believe in magic and whimsy are wasting their life… well if you think about it maybe they arent ready to start growing old yet. And I envy them.

I cant wait to show this article to my son! (minus the childhood crushing comments)

• Jim Richalds says:

A-freakin-men!!! All these naysayers need to stop being a bunch of grouchy whiners. This story may not be true, but it’s still a fun idea, and that’s all that really matters.

Look at the other articles on this site, do you really think this website is trying to present this as serious journalism? Or a serious scientific paper? No. What I think of this as, is more like, the writer saw this picture and went, “wouldn’t it be cool if…” and wrote it down.

• Anonymous says:

The problem is that there are people in the world who would read a story like this and believe it without looking more into it to see if it’s fake or not. People really do believe stupid shit like this and it ruins people’s understanding of the world if they don’t have proper education and start to accept new information, real or fake, without question.

• Jim Richalds says:

I think you underestimate your fellow human beings. If your logic is correct and what you say is really true, then all fiction should be eliminated too because people might think it is true and they will be misinformed.

• Username says:

That’s why officially published reports books videos etc are classified fiction or non-fiction durrr think back to the original radio broadcasting of war of the worlds, people legitimately panicked in places because they thought it was real. So yes there are indeed people out there that will believe anything.

• Anonymous says:

What’chu Talkin’ ’bout Willis?

• Leroy Jenkins says:

Are you seriously going to compare this to War of the Worlds? You give this guy to much credit.

Stop lumping everything together and look at things for what they really are. Just because it’s not labelled fiction doesn’t mean people will believe it.

This blog post is about as believable as the Blair Witch Project.

• J3NN says:

It also bothers me how when the discovery channel does the fake documentaries everyone gets outraged! Like the mermaids yeah there arent mermaids like ariel out there but there are other things that also can be seen as a mermaid. although with the amout of ocean we havent discovered yet im sure there are such species. people just need to realize that we havent trekked the entire plante just yet there are still places of the earth we havent seen! thats why after tsunamis and hurricanes we find all sorts of washed up critters from the depths. I also think people dont know what a hoax really is. lol they see things they cant explain and say its fake. even if it is fake does it really matter. LIke thoes mermaids that one guy made out of monkeys.. really. was it not at least fascinating to think that it could be real. Just because it turned out not to be real doesnt mean it might not exist somewhere below the merky waters. Besides can you imagine how BORING life would be if we knew everything!

• couldnt have said it better

• g1rlg33k says:

I completely agree! My daughters are fascinated by this, real dragon or not. I’m a geek and love science and all that’s probable. As far as I’m concerned for my children’s imagination is these are in fact baby dragons ;)

• Anonymous says:

Pretty sure i’ve read in multiple places that reptiles millions of years ago were a lot bigger than they are now because of the climate, and after the change began to get smaller and smaller while mammals got bigger. Maybe there could have been dragons in the past… but that would also mean that there could have been some sort of proof of them in the form of a fossil i suppose. Was just an idea. If you think about the idea of a dragon, wouldn’t pterodactyls be considered the same… and we do have proof of those. Eh just depends i guess. idk just throwing more ideas out there.

Well said

82. Anonymous says:

Fuck all of ya’ll they are real. I’ve seen one

83. Anonymous says:

Reign of Fire is the movie that you’re talking about.

84. Anonymous says:

Maybe they’ll find a donkey mating with it when it gets big haha

85. Anonymous says:

FUS RO DAH

86. Anonymous says:

Just like the “Fairy”, Its not real. Although the skills of the Artist who created these little baby “dragons” are very real. Its baffling to think that so many people are so easily fooled. If a 15 thousand pound unidentified flying creature were flying around the sky stealing cattle Im positive we would have known about it long before this.

• Anonymous says:

But you have to think places like the ocean(13% discovered) or the rainforest (17% discovered). The 10,000-15,000 range might be a little over estimating it. But it is plausible, take for instance the baeleen whale (misspelled ik) remained elusive because of being over hunted then alot of records weren’t there. So it is possible the dragons may have existed but hunted down. Maybe they were already going extinct and we just didnt know

• Yol says:

You are the only one who I’ve read had something fully intelligent to say ( minus us geeks that are loving this). We have NO idea what exists in this world, especially due to the fact that we haven’t explored most areas yet. We havent explored every depth of the ocean yet and definitely not every inch of land. Anything is possible and dragons have been in almost every culture since the dawn of history. Yes this is probably a joke and it’s fun to play along with it. This lizard could be considered a dragon technically. Will I let me childhood live on in this picture…YUP. Will I keep an open mind and know that there really could be creatures of legend out there somewhere…YUP. All fairytales and legends have truth in them somewhere down the line.

• Anonymous says:

Dude that’s a legit lizard. The story is fake but the creature is real.

• Anonymous says:

yes but if they hibernate like most of the tales suggest

87. Anonymous says:

Omg, you people seriously thought this was legit? Wow. Yeah it’s a great story, but just that- a story.

88. Kayla says:

I think this is cool and it just shows that the world we live in is more mysterious than we thought. And if people don’t want to believe that this is real than thats there opinion. And just because there hasn’t been postings with new evendence since last year doesn’t mean anything. It takes a long time to get evidence to show the whole world geez

• Robert says:

No, Kayla. If people dont want to believe a fake story, thats reality. Believing in fake stories without evidence isnt opinion, it’s ignorance.

89. Wakhid says:

That’s not a dragon, but in my country Indonesia and in my place in Yogyakarta that’s a kind of lizard, it live on tree and can flying from one tree to another, This lizard does have wings and can fly and the name of this lizard is “Ceret Gombel”,

Ceret : container of boiling water
    Gombel : a kind of local ghost legend that can fly

90. Anonymous says:

Leave the poor thing alone already!!! Jeez!!! You’re gonna make it extinct before it even gets to breed!!!

91. Anonymous says:

man people are gullible. this is an amusing story, but I cant believe people actually believe it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draco_volans <-this is your "dragon"

• Anonymous says:

You do understand that everything on wikipedia isn’t true…even if this is not “true” just wanted you to know that anybody can go on wikipedia and change the info…it’s not a credible site..

• Jonathon says:

You don’t know look at all the weird shit at the bottom of the ocean and think about all of the jungles that haven’t been explored there’s still so much about the world we don’t know about so before you think you people are gullible go and inspect the dragon for yourself

• Anonymous says:

No kidding. It said when they are grown, they will be 10-15lbs… but it carried off a 1000-2000lb cow.. 15 times… gullible isn’t the word…. people are stupid!

• anonymous says:

Yes because anything ever written on Wikipedia was always true… use a more reliable source if you are trying to look intelligent.

92. Anonymous says:

Legend of the Dragoon anyone?

93. Anonymous says:

Notice the lack of a scientific name given to it?

94. Anonymous says:

mom laughed at me and said its fake :( fucking parents

95. Anonymous says:

DROGON!

96. Anonymous says:

Time to become Dragonborn

97. Anonymous says:

I think he’s cute

98. Anonymous says:

Ugh guys, this one in march fo 2012, where is the “new evidence” about these creatures?

99. your mumma says:

as normal with these types of discovery’s no video evidence, just photos. not saying they have not found a reptile with wings as that is more than possible. but as for the size they predict it to grow, sorry complete rubbish. im labelling this story as plausible but most likely fabricated rubbish.

100. Anonymous says:

next will be trolls and then heman

101. dani says:

:D dude so many D&D nerdums running through my head right now.

102. Anonymous says:

It’s a dragon! I know because I’m an Eragon. Hahaha

103. Anonymous says:

Correct me if I’m wrong… But I thought Chinese dragons lacked wings…

104. April Scott says:

Isnt thier supposed to be a massive fire towards the end of time? If a dragon could get that big eat that much breath fir and fly…maybe this creature is here for a reason… You know assuming its real

105. Anonymous says:

Maby these are an evolved form of dragons…. Now called lizards…. If you look into the Jurassic age there was all kinds of crazy and different looking creatures….some say dinosaurs evolved into birds??….. Who are we to say that dragons didn’t exist at one point…. Especially when a huge culture (asians of course) truly believes they existed….. Maby they died off around the same time that these cultures stopped writing about them….these things may not be dragons… But there ancestors very much could of been!

• There are Lot of cultures other than mainland Asia that believed in dragons, or large animals that flew…..not just asian, look at the Navajo, or Mayan. And even the Anglos. The mystique of dragons wasn’t how large cultures believed in them, it was the frequency of these myths and stories permeated between the cultures, and of different time periods. So I can see dragons having a plausible existence.

• BlameTheMedia says:

Not just that, cultures that never had contact with each other all had similar depictions of such creatures.

106. Anonymous says:

like you maybe

107. Zeke Waisel says:

Is getting one of these little dragon lizards legal as a pet in the United States? If so, I really want one. He’s so cool looking!

108. Anonymous says:

I really want this to be true though!

109. Anonymous says:

from clones to a mad sciencetist invention from the land of Jurassic Park…

110. Gamon Quest says:

This is a species of lizard belonging to the genus Draco. They are well known to science and plenty of adult specimens have been found. In fact the first and last picture in this silly article are both pictures of adults. No, they don’t breathe fire. No, they don’t eat cattle, they’re tiny. Yes they should be protected and yes, people should stop being this gullible.

111. Anonymous says:

Chinese people would talk about dragons in their story’s. Maybe that’s a clue?

112. Anonymous says:

anyone that thinks this is true is a sad individual

113. TuT says:

Anyone ever seen the movie The Croods? What if evolution has worked in a manner we haven’t thought about, our perception of space is only relevant to the size of the subject, so what if we’re actually microscopic with space and gravity pushing in on us, causing us to gradually shrink over time, causing different types of living things to adapt and gradually get smaller by the species. There’s proof dinosaurs evolved into birds and such, why wouldn’t dragons have hibernated in caves over the centuries, inbreeding and adapting to smaller spaces, making them no larger than an average lizard to us now?

• sdfsfs says:

well if you read tho whole article above it stated “In 2-3 years it is speculated that only larger animals such as the local Indonesian cattle will be enough to sustain his massive size (about 10-15 thousand pounds).” you should read the whole article before you comment

• TutDuh sdfssyphilis says:

tut isn’t falling for the “massive size” bullshit, this isn’t a dragon it’s a lizard. He’s saying its very possible, through evolution, that what were dragons in the past have just become smaller. There’s a widely accepted theory that supports it completely. Please understand the whole idea of his paragraph before commenting.

• Bobby says:

If what you’re saying is true and gravity is pushing in on us. Then the lizards would get smaller. Not bigger.

• dani says:

Although you do have a point humans have actually gotten taller.

114. ashtrayblues says:

It would be nice if there were some form of referencing in this piece. Now it just sounds fictional, especially when the displayed picture closely resembles Draco volans.

115. Neeka says:

I will take what is mine with fire and blood.

116. Anonymous says:

Draco sumatranus..flying lizard..I doubt these can carry cattle lol

117. Norman says:

Maybe the Dragon has yet to be created by Evolution. this lizard might be the first of Flying dragons. And in time actually grow as big as buildings. As examble the Comoto Dragon. Gets as big as Humans, but spits acid . Not a lie. Maybe the Large Dragons we speak of are predictions of the future thats yet to come. I believe that all things change. And that evolution is real. Think about it

• ThatGuy.DonVonG says:

1) Komodo Dragons
      2) Komodo Dragons have toxins they excrete in their saliva that prevent clotting, reduce blood pressure, and muscle paralysis. This is made worse by the large amount of carrion they eat, which causes bacteria to grow and infect any bite victims.
      3) I think it would be awesome if they became fire breathing and grew larger. Natural selection could make them larger, but I doubt it would give much advantage to breathing fire and destroy the surrounding environment.

• Anonymous says:

well, some species of evergreen trees only reproduce after fire’s, both because of over population an as a genetic insurince if you will. Example being red pine’s, their cones only pop an spread seeds after being heated to 300 degrees F. so possibly pyro-resperation coul develop as not a defensive mechinism but as a dehabitation tool, to progress an start new growth?

• what a hoax says:

Actually it has recently been discovered that the saliva of Komodo Dragons isn’t any more toxic than human saliva.They actually have venom glands in their lower jaws. Now onto these so called “Dragons” I find it quite humorous that they believe that there are 10-15 thousand pound land animals that we haven’t discovered. It would be much more believable if they found something extraordinary like this in an unexplored part of the ocean. But hey I guess they just hide really well like Sasquatch and Yeti.

• Dylan says:

There’s no where near enough basic elements left in the atmosphere to create new species, such as this “Dragon”. It simply could not happen. I’m not stating that evolution is false in any way, its happening every day. Just on a much smaller level. For instance polar bears at on point were brown bears, but evolved into the species we can see in the arctic today.

• Anonymous says:

Your last statement about polar bears was not observed nor can it be recreated or tested in a laboratory. It is not science fact, it’s theory at best.

Hypothesis not theory.
          Theories are scientific facts.

• Anonymous says:

Hypothesis then a theory, then a LAW.

• Anonymous says:

Theories are absolutely not scientific facts, they’re hypotheses incapable of being proven wrong or infallibly correct.

• Anonymous says:

Hypothesis: If-then statement, something falsifiable, a educated guess, a testable idea.
            Theory: An evidence-backed explanation of why things occur the way they do.
            Law: A predictive formulation of observations; doesn’t include a “why”.

• Anonymous says:

To be entirely accurate, evolution itself is not a theory, evolution is a natural biological and mathematical process which we are scarcely able to observe, we simply have Charles Darwin and many other naturalists, scientists, and statisticians to thank for the theory to explain it. Also, perhaps a more observable example of evolution occurred outside of London following the industrial revolution, where the majority of the populations once light-tan colored coats and had later adapted a majority of black colored coats because many of the trees surrounding the city had been covered with soot and the black coated moths could better hide from predators and thus pass on their genes.

• Anonymous says:

You are confusing “natural selection” and “evolution.”

The moths didn’t just decide, “Well, dang. All them tan/grey moths are getting eaten. Better make some black babies. Maybe just darken up myself!” (which would be evolution, which if you believe the theory, takes time– and lots of it– not just a few years)

There were absolutely no changes to the moths. They were the same moth both before and after, just two different colors; similar to having a litter of puppies that all have a different pattern to their fur. The perceived “change” was that before the soot the tan/grey moths blended better therefor fewer where eaten therefor there were more of them. Post-soot, the black moths blended better, causing their numbers to grow while the grey/tan’s numbers declined with their lack of camouflage.

As for the “dragon”…

I love the concept of dragons and would find it incredibly awesome– however frightening– if they were discovered. However, I have to agree with a previous statement that if there were 5-7.5 ton fire-breathing, flying lizards it would be hard NOT to find them; no matter how much jungle they might be in.

• Anonymous says:

The camoto dragon they say doesn’t have the gene that restricts growth, maybe other reptiles will evolve in that manner, as cool as it may seem however I don’t think the world is ready for a giant dragon flying around snatching people up, we get enough of that from our government

118. Anonymous says:

Your moms a dragon…

119. Anonymous says:

NERD ALERT!EH_OH EH_OH

120. Anonymous says:

bread?BREAD?

• Anonymous says:

Maybe you should check your sources! It is proven that Wikipedia isn’t valuable most of the times. This author clearly states that it could be dragons. He didn’t state that they were.

• urmum says:

Well Wikipeda has sources ffs. It’s pretty reliable tracking those sources instead of relying on the wiki’s text though.

121. Anonymous says:

I. Am. Dragonborn.

122. Pokemon says:

Gotta catch and raise that Charizard!

123. Anonymous says:

This is completely fake, and that photo is of nothing but a Draco Volans, ( a small lizard with a rib structure for wings).

If this thing isn’t a Draco Volans, then what scientific genus has it been classified in? How about the Phylum? Where is a link to your sources? And how convinient “for the protection of the researchers involved, names and specific locations have been omitted.” So you mean there isn’t any because this is fake. What danger would the researchers face? And from who? The discovery of a species like this would cause international headlines, not a small article buried somewhere in the back corners of the web. If these things grow to such a large size and eat whole cattle, they would be spotted frequently even if they hibernate most of the year. And anyone who takes a basic biology class can tell you it’s impossible for a living being to simply “produce or breathe fire.”

I would love to see additional scientific documentation to support this thing’s existence, but…oh wait, here it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draco_volans

• cobalt says:

I like how you assume that its fake when the very nature of the post screams at people. if a majority disbelieve something exsits that does not mean it does not or can not it just means a lot of people are completely ignoring the possibility by calling things fake without going into further study.

• Anonymous says:

@Cobalt: The truth fears no questions. He’s validly pointing out that there are NO FUCKING SOURCES on this article whatsoever. Why is this not in BBC headlines? or credible news sources? Scientific discoveries like this aren’t “kept anonymous for people’s protection,” whatever scientist found this would wanna label his name ALL OVER this discovery.

• Matt Geiger says:

its a real lizard man… its just not a dragon. calm yourself … you are getting upste about something you didnt think exsisted minutes before writing this comment. youll be ok

• Anonymous says:

I agree, Cobalt. We blindly give faith to a deity we have never physically seen and call it religion, and have special places for people that claim life from other planets. We call one of the largest lizards (komodo) a dragon but it has no wings, so why not call this draco volans, an actual lizard that has wings, a dragon? It doesn’t have to breathe fire, but wouldn’t it be cool if it did!

• Wat says:

You do realize that you are completely wrong right? In all aspects except that if a majority disbelieve that it doesn’t mean it is fake. But in the case of science, if people are not willing to share a source, then it might as well be fake. Not to mention, the fact that this is silly. A creature in the 10-15 thousand pound range would eat an enormous amount of food, 2-3 thousand pounds per day of meat. Which is a lot.

• Anonymous says:

Really? This is how this website is run?Troll status?

• jag says:

lol nice response

• Anonymous says:

I just wanna say…wikipedia is about the worst reference page you could have due to it’s user-editing option, and being your only reference page you have little grounds to say much of anything. Whether or not a dragon exists and whether or not this is fraud has yet to be determined for me…I’ll believe until i can see it with my own eyes and touch it with my own hands, but honestly, do a bit more digging than running to wikipedia because you or I could change the ‘facts’ on that

• Anonymous says:

Thank you! I can’t stand when people rely on Wikipedia. College 101: Wikipedia is not a reliable source for any information.

• Anonymous says:

More often than not the people that say such things are afraid of being wrong. Wikipedia is an excellent resource on the web. People, PROFESSIONALS, are paid to do fact checking and read sources. When an article is poorly written with insufficient sources, IT TELLS YOU. This is called BEING HONEST about what is on the page. Your critical thinking skills appear to be entirely absent.

• Tony Jamison says:

Um, you are using “Wikipedia” as a trusted source. Rrrriiiiigggghhht.

• Anonymous says:

Don’t try and look intelligent when you’re the dumbass referencing a Wikipedia page. Tell me, how credible of a source is Wikipedia?

• Anonymous says:

Actually Wikipedia has more scholarly sources per article than any other work in history. Including the OED and Encyclopedia Britannica. So…very credible. Very very credible. Idiot.

124. anonymousss says:

Turuk makto

125. If that thing can breath fire then I’ll agree to call it dragon :p

126. Anonymous says:

which one exist first? the egg or the dragon? (Ang itlog o manok) ? LOL

127. Anonymous says:

They’re so cute!

128. this is the result when a lizard fucks a butterfly..

129. Anonymous says:

Your a fucking idiot if you believe this

130. Anonymous says:

Cant wait to buy one of these mystical creatures off the black market

131. Anonymous says:

Dragons? LOL. Those are Draco Volcans.

132. Anonymous says:

This is such a heaping load of bull****, those are winged lizards that don’t grow beyond that sized

133. Anonymous says:

we need to use growth hormones and bread them have actual dragons i want a pet one

134. Anonymous says:

DROGON!!!!

135. Jomar says:

It’s like a Flying Squirrel in a Form of Lizard……^_^

136. Anonymous says:

If any one would ask The lord about this they would find in the scriptures that this animal will show up and is spoken about in Scripture in the last days of this age of man.

137. Anonymous says:

Is that before or after the stars are going to fall from the sky? Which shows a clear lack of understanding about nature and the universe, by the way.

Trackbacks

1. Glaenzer says:

Glaenzer

Baby Dragon Discovered in Indonesia | The Auditorium

2. […] Baby Dragon Discovered in Indonesia | The Auditorium. […]

3. […] but I don't know how much they're stretching their speculations, but he still looks kool;-) . Baby Dragon Discovered in Indonesia | The Auditorium __________________ Government is not the solution to our problem. The government is the […]

4. […] • A baby dragon has hatched in Indonesia, it’s called Agni!  […]

5. […] photo below has been included in discussions such as this one entitled “Dragons Discovered in Indonesia” which […]

6. […] hatchling born Baby Dragon Discovered in Indonesia | The Auditorium Pretty damn cool. Hope its not hoax […]

7. Sources……

[...]…Trackback from http://www.ez-on-web.com [...]…

What'chu Talkin' 'bout Willis?